Thursday, December 18, 2008

Slacker

I have been slacking on my blog lately. Not because I don't want to do it, but because I have nothing going on. I could write about how the jackets just beat the sharks in a 2-1 overtime win at home last night, but that might be a bit drab for some.

I could write about how black my toes are...again...but I don't have a camera right now so the words won't do them justice.

I really haven't got anything going on. It was Hitch's birthday yesterday and I got him some sleep shorts, a fruit basket thingy, some 'ugh' slippers and a footstool. I know, right? A footstool? He has been talking about a footstool for about a month now and I didn't think it was possible to get one that he would like, but I stumbled into Pier 1 the other day and found this chubby little stool that I though would fit the bill. He says he likes it and it works pretty good. I am wondering how long he will use his slippers though.

Thinking about shopping the other day reminds me of how I busted a candle in the middle of a candle store.

Because we have a fake tree, I like to get candles that burn the scent of pine needles so it gives us a real holiday feel. I walked into a special candle store and was overwhelmed by all the smells. It was a buy 1 get 1 50% off so I thought I would take advantage of that great sale.


I was smelling a few candles here and there, but started to get a bit of a headache and wanted to get out of that store. On my way out, I picked up one of those large candles that come in a jar with a lid to give it a sniff. Well, apparently the lids aren't tight because as I picked it up, the lid remained in my hand while the candle smashed to the floor. Fortunately it was a carpeted floor and it didn't make a loud bash, but it made a sound loud enough to stop everyone in the store in their tracks and turn and look straight at me.

Immediately I turned to the lady at the counter and she said: "Don't worry about it at all, it happens all the time". What a nice person. You know what my first thought was: 'Cinnamon Roll? I don't want to have to buy THAT flavor of candle'. Nice eh?

Of course, I felt totally obligated to make a purchase now, but still couldn't find a candle that would capture the scent that I was going for. I helped with the tidying up at the accident site and apologized profusely and then mingled and sniffed around the store some more. This time holding the candles by the base instead of the lids. Before long, I couldn't be bothered to sniff anymore candles and I slinked out of the store and made a right down the corridor....I was free of my obligation. Shady? Not really because I TRIED to find something to buy, but just couldn't. I also justified it with the fact that it those big mother candles are $24.95 each which would likely be exactly $23.95 more than they are worth.

The real problem came when I realized that instead of taking a right out of the store, I actually should have taken a left and had to turn around.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis, you guys have about a million candles around from last year. You should light up some of those.

zorba said...

Yeah, I do but they are getting used up.