Friday, December 12, 2008

Is it really good?


For those of you who weren't aware, I just spent the last week back in my hometown visiting my family. Hitch wasn't here either so there is limited food in the cupboards and fridge.

This morning (and I use that term loosely), I got up and wanted something to eat for 'breakfast' so I went to the cupboard and there was a bag of bagels that I purchased about 3 weeks ago. My initial reaction was 'good, they are still good...no mold'. Then I thought about it: is it really a good thing that they are still good after all this time?

The fact that this food item is still 'fresh' is indicative of the high levels of preservatives within the bagel. The most common preservative found in bread items is propionic acid which help prevent mold from forming. Now, certain levels of preservatives are likely necessary otherwise we would be at the grocery store every day buying one or two bagels at a time. Who needs that? If it has been 3 weeks since I last bought bagels I highly doubt that I would be inclined to go to the grocery store every day to pick up bread.

As much as I would like to eat all natural and organic, sometimes it is just easy to stuff a three week old bagel smeared with creme cheese in and call it breakfast.


No comments: