Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How not to burn your hair


A few months ago I bought myself a nice flattening iron for my hair so as to give it that, just out of the salon look. I was really enjoying the effect it was having on my hair. I had a nice haircut, good colour and my hair was flowing nicely. One day, however, when getting myself primped up, I noticed the unthinkable: damaged hair.

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! (the picture on the right is a picture of 'some' burnt hair, not MY burnt hair.)

Damaged hair? I have never had damaged hair in my life! Never, not once...green hair from a chlorine overload doesn't count! I freaked out and started to analyze what could have caused such damage, what has changed in my routine that could lead to this?

The first thing that came immediately to mind was the flattening iron. Of course, that was it, the extreme heat of the flattening iron! I noticed on more than one occasion that my hair was smoking as I used it, but of course, I never turned it down. You know that ass soon as I saw the damage to my hair that the temperature dropped dramatically on that sucker. After awhile though, I started thinking that the damage could have occured from the hair dryer since the bulk of the damage was in the two major areas that I 'shape' with the round brush and hair dryer. Either way, heat was the enemy and I started using the 'cool' setting on the hair dryer as well.

I stopped using the flattening iron and switched back to my big fat round curling iron. A this point my hair was so desperately in need for a cut and colour, making it look presentable was more of a challenge than ever. I needed much more than a flattening iron and a curling iron at this point, but what I needed, I couldn't get in Columbus.

Today, I finally got the chance to get to my regular hair dresser, Veronica in Palm Desert. I showed her my damaged hair and she sprung to action. She had the antidote.

We were talking about how the damage could have occured and I explained to her about the flattening iron and she thought that it could have been the culprit. Later on while she was blow drying she had a light bulb moment. "Do you have your plastic nozzle on your hair dryer when you use it?"

"Yes, I think so."

And then I thought about it. I don't think I do.

"If you don't have that nozzle on, anywhere you touch the hair dryer to your hair with that flaming hot metal grate at the end of the dryer will singe your hair."

Hmmmmm.....yep, that's it. I was proudly using my round brush to create bounce in my hair, but in addition to the beautiful bounce, I created hundreds of burnt hairs. Nice look eh? Bouncy little fragments of hair hanging from my scalp. Beautiful.

I came home and verified that I had no nozzle attached. In fact, I don't even know where that attachment is anymore. I had no real idea what that attachment was all about...now I know.

Veronica says she sees a lot of women with singed bangs from doing the exact same thing. Now, I can happily use my flattening iron again and once I find the attachments, will be able to bounce my hair to the ceiling with my hair dryer if I want!


No comments: