Friday, December 12, 2008

A new addiction


Has anyone ever seen the original BBC version of 'The Office' written by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant? It was the first version of The Office that I had ever seen and thought it was hilarious. In fact, when the American version first came out I wasn't sold on it, but over time it has become one of my favorite shows.

Anyway, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant also co-wrote and produced the show called 'Extras' which is even more hilarious than their original 'The Office' and definitely worth checking out. They also have a series of Podcasts available on iTunes with their friend Karl Pilkerton that became the #1 podcast in the world and is actually in the Guiness Book of World Records for the most downloaded podcast!

I downloaded one of his podcasts to give it a whirl and since then I have been downloading everything I can get my hands on. The bulk of the humor comes from Karl. He speaks in a monotone and troubled sounding voice. His thoughts are obscure and he delivers them in a very deadpan kind of way, but hilarious nonetheless. On the podcasts you hear Ricky and Stephen laughing constantly, but you never hear laughter out of Karl, in fact, I would bet this photo would be a rarity. Ricky and Stephen often mention how Karl has a head as round as an orange. What do you think:


Part of the appeal for me with this trio is their british accents and their use of certain words and phrases: 'knocking about', and the way Karl says: 'I'm sick of it' brings a smile to my face nearly every time.

It is funny to think that you would want to sit there and listen to 3 guys just chit chat about whatever comes up, but the stuff that comes up is hilarious and their comedic twists on it are even better.

Type in Ricky Gervais under the podcasts heading at itunes and see for yourself.

No comments: