Saturday, January 31, 2009

T-Day

Remember a few months back when I wrote my post about my 'dek-toe'? Well it happened almost exactly 3 weeks to the day of the initial injury...yep, my toenail fell off today.

Here is what happened:

The other day I did my daily toe inspection to check their progress. Now that I painted them up all nice, it is more difficult to keep an eye on them, so the inspections have to be more frequent. I notice that the bottom of it started to appear raised and was turning into, what I felt was, the beginnings of it coming off.

Well, today as I got out of the shower I was just about to head out, I gave it a bit of a squeeze and to my surprise, some little bubbly water came out the bottom of it! It was really separated now and ready to come off. My sister said that I would find it in my sock some day, but now that I saw an opening, I couldn't wait so I went and got some tools.

After retrieving my swiss army knife off my key chain I started with the 3 p's: poke, prod and pry. I was a little nervous because I felt like if it was still attached, it might hurt if I try to force it. As I pryed the tool under the side of it, I could see the nail really raising up...it was ready to come off, but I was scared of that weird pain that you could only imagine would accompany pulling your toenail from it's nail bed prematurely. Before I knew it, however, it was completely raised and in my hand. It was off and all that was left there was this strange looking naked unprotected half formed nail in an mucky looking nail bed. Yuck! Talk about the heebs.

I was immediately worried that maybe I shouldn't have messed with it and that the air might do something crazy to it. It felt weird for a second or two, and now I am pretty much scared to touch it for fear of getting some sort of crazy nail pain, but it seems like it is okay. I have even gotten a bit used to the way it looks.

Here, see for yourselves:


...and...(there is some air brushing in this photo, but it was toe hair related only)...



...and


How about the underside?


Pretty weird, eh? The nail on my right foot is still intact, but that injury didn't occur until about 2 weeks after this one so I will let you know how that one progresses.

I am definitely going to have to get some cute band-aids to wear becasue I can be walking around in flip flops unprotected.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Sis, that is disgusting.

Anonymous said...

Nasty!