Saturday, January 3, 2009

Back at it


After my sweat class yesterday, I headed back to the golf course for the first time in a few months. Knocking the rust off is always the worst part of the season. It usually takes about 21 days to get feeling somewhat normal again and starting slow with it is the key.

I joined The Palms (looking at picture to the right, you don't have to wonder why it is called The Palms) in May when most of the snow birds have left the desert so there was never many people around. As the summer wore on there was less and less, hardly more than 4 or 5 cars in the parking lot at one time. As I drove in yesterday the parking lot was loaded and there were people everywhere...on the range (both ends), the chipping area and the putting greens. It was great and I got a lot of energy from that.

I began putting and ended up chatting with 'Eric', a friend of Anthony Kim's. My stroke felt great, like I never missed any time. Even better actually, because my mind was clear. I then chipped and then went and hit some mini-9 irons while listening to the newest Ricky Gervais podcast. It was hilarious and I probably looked like a mental case standing out there smiling and laughing to myself the whole time.

It was a shortish practice session, but an enjoyable one. I ran into a few guys who I had met from being out there in the past. Among those people I also saw Adam Oates.

I first met Adam in the gym a few months ago and we started working out together and did so for a few months. Adam was great in the gym, better than having a trainer. His fitness level is, and always has been, remarkable. It is how he was able to play in the league for as long as he did. Adam is a passionate guy in whatever he does and believes in and one of those passions lies in hating Hank Haney and Tiger Woods. Being an acquaintance of Hank and a believer in what he teaches, it made for a bit of a strain in our budding friendship to say the least. Regardless, we are cordial and polite but he is still a bit awkward socially.

It felt great getting sun on my skin again.

No comments: