Sunday, January 4, 2009

Can't think straight


I was chatting with a friend today on facebook and started talking about adult ADD (attention deficit disorder). It is a fancy term for having the attention span of a gnat. I think I might have it.

I can no longer sit and watch tv anymore, I have to sit and watch tv with my computer on my lap and be surfing whatever random sites. I can no longer just drive to a destination, I have to drive and check messages on my phone or even get on my phone (everytime I do it, I think about how much I need a hands free device.) I can't make dinner without having the tv on and something decent to listen to. Having a shower? Put on the music. When I am practicing, I need to have my ipod handy to listen to music or my latest podcast. What is that all about? Why does the brain need to be so stimulated these days? Why have I allowed my focus to stray so that concentrating on one thing at a time is basically extinct within me?

Maybe the yoga will help get me centered again. Focusing on the task at hand allows you to fully experience what you are doing. Continuing to divide my focus will have detrimental long term effects. It is like when you fold a piece of paper in half and then again in half, and then a gain in half until you have this little hard ball of what used to be paper, but now feels like a rock and is rendered useless. I don't need my brain hardening up on me.

Maybe this is why I am so tired at the end of the day and go to be before 9 pm every night. I am going to work on that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am exactly the same way sis!! I have to watch tv and have a book going at the same time. If I'm not multitasking then I'm lost. I have to be on the phone and also be doing 1000 other things. The scary thing is that I rarely have a memory of the things that I accomplish while multitasking. I'll go to fold a load of laundry and then see that I've already done it while I was doing something else!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I think me and my middle child have it too.