Monday, January 26, 2009

Like nothing I have ever seen before...

Today I was a stand in for a friend in a charity tournament that raises money for Kidney disease. The tournament was like nothing I have ever seen before.

Upon registration, you sign a card with your name and address and decide what type of Nike irons you would like. They have three sets to chose from and once you fill out all your specs. they will appear in the mail. Now, because I was a stand in for Peter, I didn't get the irons, but I did get the free Nike jacket, hat, shirt and box of balls to start the day with. Not bad.

I played as an 'am' in Pro-Am portion and was able to play from the forward tees with the other women. I felt a little guilty initially but after a drive or two and the way I hit it, I stopped feeling that way rather quickly. Considering this was to be my first 18 holes since October, and the first balls I was going to hit since last tuesday, I was a little sketchy at best. It doesn't help that I have a bit of a cold and my senses are somewhat dulled.

Anyway, we started on number 2 which was a par three. The hole prize for that hole was a 65" LCD tv. Yes, thats right, a 65" tv for a closets to the pin, NOT even for a hole in one. Our pro hit it great, but it just ran through the green so nobody was really all that close on that one. The prize for that was won by Jeff Gove. Apparently his wife said to him when he left the house: go win me a flat screen tv, honey! And he did. She is going to be thrilled.

Next hole was a 'straight drive' challenge. There was a rope that ran through the middle of the fairway and the person who was closest to that rope, won a free MacBook computer, just like the one I am typing this blog on. Yes...a Macbook.

The next hole was a par 5. The prize? A Macbook computer for the person who was closest to the pin in 2 shots. Next hole, a 42" LCD tv. The next hole, an Ernie Ball electric guitar. The next hole, another macbook...and on it went. It was unreal.

On the 13th hole, a short par three I hit a shot that I didn't particularly like, but it ended up great. 3'2". The prize was a 42" LCD tv and I wanted it baaaaad. I didn't want to get shut out! Along with the closest to the pin prize I won a Nike driver for being the closest in my group. Pretty cool.

My cart mate was already in the running for a Macbook from her long drive so she was really pulling for me. We were all excited as I wrote my name on the placard and headed to the next hole. We were teeing off when we heard a loud cheer from the group behing. It wasn't your average--'wooohooo it is close!' kind of cheer, it was a full on 'wooohoooo it's in the HOLE!!' kind of cheer.

Sure enough, there was a hole in one by the tournament organizer Sterling Ball so, needless to say, there went my closest to the pin. I feined happy for the guy, but I wanted the TV!!

Now, it was on...I was going for it. Forget about the team score, I wanted to get a prize!

On 15 there was a chance at a long drive. I was 2nd long drive on that hole and it was our understanding that there would be 3 long drive prizes on that hole. I felt like that would be good enough. On 17, I cranked a drive and got 1st long drive for a laptop...I was sure that would be the one. I started to imagine what I would do with my 2nd macbook. Sell it? Keep it? Give it as a gift to someone? Who knew, but I was going to enjoy trying to figure it out.

The day came to a close and our team won 3rd low net and got this cool trophy:



Then came the announcement of all the premium prizes...laptop's, tv's, and electric guitars.

Some of the pros who were there were: Jeff Gove, Jason Gore, Scott McCarron, Mark Brooks, Pat Perez (fresh off of his Bob Hope victory), Dave Stockton Jr., Cliff Kresge, Dean Wilson, Stephen Ames, Bo Van Pelt.

Other notables who were there was 'Luke' the guitarist from the group Toto, Scott Hamilton (the figure skater), and Huey Lewis...yes, 'that's the POWer of Love' Huey Lewis. They all seemed to leave with something and they were all excited to do so. I overheard Bo Van Pelt's paycheck from the Hope was $179 000 but he was happy as a clam to run up and get his macbook. They all were it.

When they ran through the 'Am's' prizes it was a bit nerve wracking thinking that you might come up empty, but I put my name on enough placards that I thought I should end up with something...or so I hoped...Finally came the closest to the pin on 13..and the winner is: Corina Kelepouris!! I won a Sharp 42" LCD tv!!! Apparently the
organizer felt like he didn't need the TV so he gave it to the next person on the list which was me!

I filled out a card and it should be here in a week or so! Wow. Can you imagine?


I have never been a part of a tourney that had such great prizes on every hole. I called Peter after the day was finished to offer him my tv (which he adamently refused) and to thank him for the opportunity. What a great day it turned out to be.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool!