Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Giving me the business

Yesterday as I was coming back from my appointment I was catching up on the cell phone about day to day with my good friend. I am peacefully driving along when I notcied a car to the right of me who had their lane end and he did't play it very well. He didn't slow down, he didn't get in front of me, he just stayed where he was. Thing is, when your lane ends, there isn't room for two cars. Needless to say he was finding it a bit difficult to find space, so when I realized this I sped up and he tucked in beside me. No problem, right? That's what I thought...

Suddenly I heard some beeping and noticed it was a women in a little yellow Mercedes taking issue with the fact that I was on the phone. Granted, it is illegal in California to be on the phone, and not particularly safe either, but I don't think it is necessary to create a large scene on Hwy 111 from your own car in an effort to police fellow citizens. Here is what happened:

After I noticed her taking issue with me and having a small fit in the car, I flipped her the sustained bird. The bird with one hand, the phone in the other, a smirk on the face in the middle. I was totally obnoxious and loving every minute of it. She was now getting flustered and I recognized that she was trying to get my license plate number.

She sped up in that attempt to get my number, but was disappointed to see that I don't have a plate on the front of my car. Ha! Sucker. By this point, it was on. She then slowed down to try to get behind me, so I slowed down. She slowed down more...I countered and just stayed right beside her. We are now traveling at about 25 mph on a road that normally clips along at the rate of 55 or so. Cars behind us are starting to honk and get irritated, but I just stayed with her, mirror to mirror. Finally she picked up her pace so I followed. A light was now approaching and I quickly took inventory of where I would be in relation to her so I figured the safest place was to tuck in behind her, so I did.


Next thing I know, she pulled into the turning lane, so I again, followed. The last thing I wanted to do, however, was to turn into some housing development and fortunately for me, the light turned green and I did a quick lane change and went in around her. I could see her prop herself up as if she was getting ready to catch a better glimpse of my plate. Yeah, right. I gassed it and just like that, I was gone.

It was a funny little interchange and I am sure she was shocked that I was so persistent in the game that she decided to play, but she didn't realize that she is dealing with the girl who threatened to smash into a girls car if she 'didn't drop the attitude' haha.

I had been meaning to get myself a hands free device for the car, but this confirmed it. Not because of the idiot in the yellow Mercedes with the matching yellow hair, but because it is the right thing to do. Next stop, the Verizon store for the 'jawbone'.

No comments: