Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Say no to crack?


No, not THAT crack!!

Have you ever been to a chiropractor? Until this past friday, I hadn't.  I have never been a believer in that practice, I always felt it was unnatural.  My theory is that if the back is out of whack, it is because the soft tissue is inflamed and it is forcing the spine out of place.  Therefore, if you address the soft tissue, the bone will be able to go back to it's original position.

Anyhow, I am in a situation where I needed my neck to feel better asap so I was willing to do whatever it takes to be ready for qualifying school next week.

Before I did anything, I sought out the advice of three guys who know what they are talking about when it comes to the body: Barry Brennan, Mike Vogt, and Mark Adams.  All three work (or have worked) with the Blue Jackets and are completely dialed when it comes to the body and what makes it move (or not move).  After gathering opinions I walked into the Chiro office still feeling skeptical and unsure of what to expect but willing to give it a try.

After seeing the x-rays of my spine, I could see for myself where there were some vertebrae out of alignment which added some credibility to what this guy was saying.  Then came the moment of 'adjustment'.  Jeremy was very good in the sense that he talked me through what he was going to do before he jolted my neck, but it didn't make it any less uncomfortable.  What a strange feeling it is to have your neck twisted and torqued in a way that you could never do on your own.  Sure enough, crack-crack-crack up through my neck, and then again through the middle of my back.  

I wish I could say that I felt immediate relief and that I am a full bore believer in chiro, but that isn't the case.  I've just had my third session and am beginning to wonder wtf?  Regarding chiropractic care I have always heard that once you go once you have to keep going.  Is that what is going on?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  Realistically speaking it would be odd to think that a problem can be corrected in one session, however although I do feel slightly better, I am wondering if that has more to do with the time passing and the near daily massage I have been getting. 

Has anyone had any experience in this capacity?  I would love to hear your feedback on the matter.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I myself am suspicious of chiropractors.

Until recently my sister was a chiropractic junkie. She went all the time, at least once a week. And the least little thing she did would "put her out of adjustment". Funny thing, she quit going about 3 months ago and she admitted that she actually felt better than she did before.

I personally think that too much manipulation stretches the ligaments between your discs, like bending a book spine back and forth until its loose.

Obviously its good for some things, but I don't think it can cure all they claim it can.

Just my .02

zorba said...

Nice feedback. It is definitely starting to feel like a racket...you barely get out of the room before they are booking you another appointment. I think tomorrow will be my last session.

Anonymous said...

hope your back and neck are feeling better. I think you should give aerobics a try, it works wonders.JF

Anonymous said...

cor,

give it a chance. i was also skeptical but after years of massage therapy and physio including acupuncture i gave it a try last spring after my marathon. i'm now sold but it did take many treatments to make a difference. golf swing even felt better. it's now getting me through this wrist thing. terrible back pain once i went back to work but after 2 treatments this week i'm feeling human again. i know what you mean about the neck cracking - freaked me out the first time.

barb

zorba said...

Hello Jane Fonda, thanks for dropping by my blog. As soon as I find my leg warmers and headband, I will join you for a class. Hopefully the 'little person' is there and I can admire her technique.

Lefty--I went 4 straight times, and granted it probably isn't enough, but I am not buying it so far. I think it is a bit of a racket and I am planning on getting the jackets guys to look at me before I do anything more. I know it has some value, but I am not convinced it is what I need right now.