Sunday, September 14, 2008

Feeling a 'Wie' bit better


I know you were all very concerned (based on the excessive number of comments I received wishing me well...actually, the one I got...thanks sis) so I am happy to tell you that I am up and running again and feeling good.

Michelle Wie is here preparing to play in qualifying school this week. Her caddy (some cute guy from north of London) was out and about on the course yesterday afternoon tracking down yardages and breaks for the big Wiezy.

What is my take on Wie? She is a just a kid who has a great ability and the potential to be a dominant player. I also think she has been somewhat mismanaged and slightly misguided. She turned pro and signed the $10 million with Nike at the height of the Wie-hype and had she not signed, the risk of her value dropping with a poor finish was great. I get that. From a marketing/business perspective it was the right thing to do, but from an emotional and personal standpoint? To me, that is yet to be determined. Is she the richest one in the field this week? Absolutely. Will she end up in rehab in a few years a la Jennifer Capriati? This might seem a bit extreme but stranger things have happened to young people who are in the limelight and live a fairly controlled life at an early age.

The fact that she is taking the appropriate steps to pursue a career on the LPGA is a good thing. She will earn her spot and in the process earn the respect of her fellow competitors. A player who is not a member of the LPGA tour is allowed 6 sponsor's exemptions per year and the tournaments who she accepts those exemptions from are lucky to haver her. She brings fans in the gates and more people tend to watch on tv. Unfortunately you can feel the tide has turned for Michelle watchers as it feels like many people are waiting in anticipation of her failing.

Golf is a tough sport and to hurl bitterness and ill will towards a 19 year old kid with big dreams is beyond my comprehension. I hope she does well...not only to silence the naysayers, not only to stick it to everyone, but for herself. She could use some good to happen with her golf game. As a fellow player I know what it is like to fall flat in front of everyone (see Canadian Open--actually, don't :)) and it isn't much fun.

It is interesting to see her around the course this week. It is Michelle, her caddie and her parents in tow. No NBC, no ESPN, no Golf Channel, just her and her golf game. I think she is a good young player who, just like everyone this week, is trying to get to that upgraded status in their career.

I wish her well and I will be watching from afar what happens to this young (former) phenom as she evolves in her career and life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...actually, the one I got...thanks sis"

Hey, what about my text message :(
Tina I sent your sisterelli a TM and get noooooo credit. Maybe she passed out and has no recall...

Bermuda

zorba said...

Yes, you did send a message...I just meant on my blog! Of course I take note of your texts!!!