Saturday, September 27, 2008

It's all different here this year


I don't know how many of you have been to Florida, but there is a sort of tropical feeling when you get to florida. The grass is a brand of 'bermuda' where the blades are really wide and thick (kind of looks like quack grass), the humidity is heavy, and there are usually blue skies littered with big grey clouds waiting to unleash their power at about 3:00 in the afternoon. Seriously, you could set your clock by it.

This year, it looks different. There is more blue than not in the skies, the humidity is down, the grass is more dry, the temperature isn't as hot and it hasn't rained once since I arrived on Thursday. It's weird.

My first trip to Florida was for q-school 10 years ago...
holy crap, 10 years ago? Jeez...Anyway, I basically hated it in Florida. I had never experienced humidity like that before and I knew immediately that I didn't want to spend more time there than I had to. Since then, I have softened my stance on Florida and don't quite hate it as much, I actually don't mind it at all. Afterall, how could you hate a state with no income tax? When I actually have an income, I will certainly appreciate that.

My first year of q-school I remember I rented a condo with a girl named Heidi Vorhees from California. I remember seeing her knuckles turn white on the steering wheel as soon as we turned into the golf course and saw the big: "Welcome to LPGA Q-School" sign. We flew in on the red-eye and I was exhausted, all I could think about was hitting the sack for a couple of hours, but I remember Heidi getting in her golf gear and heading straight to the course for some practice. She, in my opinion, was a wreck. She was totally wired and right on the edge emotionally. Meanwhile, this was my first attempt at q-school and it was all 'bright lights, big city' for me. I was taking it all in stride just trying to sort out the whole process. Either of us made it. I didn't have the game for it but part of me knew it. Heidi didn't have the patience or the emotional composure for and part of her knew it.

I don't know what happened to Heidi, last I heard she was working for some old rich guy. Kind of the same job Elaine had working for Mr. Pitt. I don't know if she had to buy socks for him or not, but more than likely.

Here I am, 10 years later. So much the same but so much so different.

No comments: