Thursday, October 2, 2008

When a stranger calls....

A few weeks ago I got a message on my home phone that got my adrenaline pumping and me wondering: 'oh my god...who WAS that?'

I don't use my house phone a great deal. Very few people know the number and in fact, I barely know the number, so anytime someone calls on that phone it is typically one of two people: Hitch or my sister. Therefore, to have messages on my answering machine (yes, answering machine) is somewhat odd. Anyway, I came home from practice, saw a message and thought nothing of it. I hit the 'play' button and I froze.

"Grrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaarrrr......."

Has anyone seen the movie The Grudge? I am pretty sure that is the movie where the people get the phone calls and they hear this sickening, horrifying growling sound...well, that was the message I received. Immediately I am thinking that someone is watching me or stalking me so naturally, I'm freaked. I HAD to put this call out of my mind and convince myself that it is some kind of joke or mistake...otherwise how am I supposed to sleep? I tried to matchup a phone number on my call display with the time and date of this message but it was like the call didn't happen...which made it even more frightening.

Fast forward to today when I got home from Tampa. I noticed that I had 4 total messages on my machine. I knew the first one was the growl-freakier-than-hell-message and then 3 new ones. The 2nd one was from a friend in Calgary and the third one was yet another growl.

What the hell is going on??? The only difference between this call and the last one was that I was able to track down the number on the caller ID and the date and time on the message. Because I am in a rather ticked off not interested in putting up with anyone's crap kind of mood, I called the growler back. It rang a few times and I started to think nobody was home, but finally someone answered and the conversation went like this:

Chris Duke (CD): "Hello"

Me: Hi, Chris?

CD: Yeah.

Me: Hi, um, well I was just wondering why someone from this number is calling and growling into my answering machine because it is more than a little bit freaky.
nothing...

CD: Who is this? What is your phone number?

Me: It doesn't matter who this is...my phone number is: xxx-xxx-xxxx

CD: Ha, that is my friends number in Bakersfield. That is just something my friend and I do to each other, but I didn't dial your area code, I dialed his.

Me: Well, no you didn't dial his number because I have two messages the same thing and it is freaking me out so could you please stop doing it?

CD: Yeah. Um, okay. Sure. Who is this?

Me: It doesn't matter..just stop doing it.

CD: Okay.

Me: Thank-you.

It wasn't The Grudge calling afterall. Next thing I will get is a message that says: 'have you checked the children?'



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok sis, how come you had to put that scary pic at the top of this post? Now it's burned into my retinas and freakin me out!

zorba said...

haha...I knew it would!