Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Favorite Things

Welcome to my first installment of: My Favorite Things blog entries.

One of my favorite things of the new NHL season isn't seeing the new names and faces on the teams, it isn't the sound of sticks and pucks on the ice, or is it the sound of the crowd going wild when the home team scores, but my absolute favorite thing about the young season is:

The NHL rookies scoring their first ever NHL goals.

No matter who it is or what team they are on I g
et feeling a little veclempt when I get to witness the young players' dreams come true. Their first game is something to behold, but every kid who grew up playing hockey dreamed of scoring a goal in the NHL. I love seeing that.

So far this season with the jackets I have got to witness the jackets rookies Jakub Voracek, Derek Dorsett, Nikita Filatov and Marc Methot score their first ever NHL goals.


Jakub's (a total cutie) first goal came in his first ever NHL game in Dallas in the first game of the season. It was a perfect sho
t just under the cross bar that went in and out so fast play continued until a stoppage. The play was reviewed and it confirmed that he did get his first ever goal. A delayed reaction for all involved, but nonetheless, his first goal and a souvenir puck and memory he will never forget.

Derek D
orsett (one of my personal favorites) happened during a home game vs. the Canuks and one of the top goalies in Roberto Luongo. Derek threw himself into the glass and the place went crazy. The jackets won that game 4-2.
Italic
Marc Methot's (a fellow Call of Duty 4 player) first goal came vs. Nashville in an, otherwise forgettable, losing campaign in Nashville. I am sure the players would rather have their first goals come with wins, but regardless, his dream came true that night. Marc's second goal, however occured the other night vs. the NYI and initiated a third period comeback that helped earn the jackets a point that 30 minutes before, looked like they would never obtain. He probably will enjoy looking back at that one more than the first, but I am sure he will enjoy his first one on home ice as much or more. The way he has been playing lately, it won't be long for him either.

Nikita Filatov (I know, not in his hockey gear, but how can I not put that picture of him up?) scored also scored his first NHL goal in his first NHL game ever played. It was on home ice vs. the Nashville Predators in front of a packed house and a very amped up crowd. Talk ab
out goosebumps!! His goal helped lead the team to an opening night victory. Niki played 4 NHL games before getting sent back down to the jackets minor league affiliate, but has the makings of scoring many, many more goals in the NHL.


I love hearing the arena announcers say: "...his first goal of his NHL career scored by..." Imagine the parents, family and friends of those players who have watched them work their butts off to get to that point. Imagine what it feels like to see their son playing in front of all those people to begin with and then to have their kid score a goal? Wow. It gives me goosebumps every time.

That is definitely one of my favorite things.

No comments: