Friday, November 14, 2008

The baking campaign


Before I get started I just have to say:

Molases reeks and I can't stand the smell. Almost to the point of gaging and I never do that.

Okay, so onto the process...

I got home after collecting all of my ingredients for my gingerbread cookies and set it all out. I even had to purchase a mixer for the occasion so I went with the cheapest one and got started.

Mixing the dry ingredients was pretty standard and very manageable. Adding the chunks of butter posted as a bit more of an issue as it seemed I could have waited for it to be a little more room temperature, but that eventually got blended nicely. I now understand the value of a good quality mixer with baking. If you have a low quality mixer you have very little control of the speeds (at least on this one) and when the lowest is too fast, it causes a bit more mess than necessary. The flour was puffing out all over the place, but other than that I got it mixed in.

Now the molases.... I had no idea it reeked as bad as it does...I cannot tolerate the smell and if I have to make another batch, I will be using a clothes pin to seal off my nostrils. Yes, it is just that bad to me.

Once it all got blended together it actually looks like gingerbread cookie dough! It is now in the fridge cooling off for a few hours before I roll it out and cut out my shapes. I will have an update as I go along.

No comments: