Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A week later

No, this isn't a post about Billy, directly but more about how my life has changed a week after getting him.

Since getting Billy, my life has changed in the following ways:

-I am typically up twice a night and up earlier in the morning:

Billy usually wakes up at about 3 am to go for a pee and then he is up at around 6 am. I don't mind this at all actually...probably because of where I live. Taking a puppy out to pee at 3 am in the dead of winter in Canada (or another cold climate) would suck in a big way, but here it is only a matter of slipping on a pair of sweats, sweatshirt and of course, a pair of socks. He goes promptly and I put him back to bed and we are both asleep within minutes.

-My kitchen floor has never been cleaner:

When I go to the golf course, I confine Billy to the kitchen because it is tile and if he relieves himself, it is easy to clean up. I put his bed in there, all of his chew toys his water and a little bit of food to occupy him and of course, his pee pads. When I come home, there is usually a few places where he has 'missed' the pee pad which require cleanup. Every day I get the mop and the Mr. Clean out and sanitize the area. I NEVER did that before I had Billy.

-I laugh and smile more:

This isn't to say that I was an unhappy person pre-Billy, but how can one NOT be amused, touch and entertained by a puppy who looks like this:


-Mentally I am more taxed/stimulated:

People talk all the time about how much 'work' a puppy is. In terms of the physical work of having one, it isn't that big of a deal, but mentally it is where you get the work out. I find I am constantly thinking about where he is, if he has pee'd/pooped and whether or not he needs to go out. He typically doesn't stray to far away from my side, but when he does, I am constantly tracking him to see what he is up to. Face it, nobody likes the idea of cleaning up dog poop from your rug. I also worry more about his well being and comfort. He doesn't like to be too far away from me, and when he is tired, I feel bad that he is up and down and feels the need to follow me around the house when I am doing laundry or something. I need to get over that. I really only relax when he is asleep. I feel like I also get a break because I know he won't be peeing in his sleep.

-Traveling considerations:

In the past, I would punch up travelocity and book the cheapest flight I could find. With Billy, I have to call the airline and make sure that they have room for a pet on board. Each airline has it's own pet policy and it is necessary to familiarize myself with those. We are taking our first trip together on Monday--I am sure it will be fine, but I imagine that will be blog-worthy.

-I have some structure in my day:


Pre-Billy I didn't have to worry about doing things in a timely fashion. Because he is a puppy, I don't want to leave him alone for too long so I just get things done quicker. Also, I miss him when I am gone and look forward to coming home to be with him.

-I get waaay more freshair:

I NEVER used to sit in my backyard. Now, I am out there every day hanging with Billy. He isn't a big fan of going outside by himself yet, so I usually go out and sit in the chair while he does his thing. In the morning I will take my computer out there and read all of my hockey articles while I sit with him. It gets me away from plopping on the couch and having the fresh morning air to breath in is energizing.

-I have played less xbox:

The only time I get a few games in online is when he is asleep or if he has just gone to the bathroom. I am just too concerned with his bowel movements to be fully engaged with the Blackout Kings at this moment. Don't worry, I will be back in full when he gains some independence.

-My hands and arms are all scratched up:

Yes, he is a puppy and has razor sharp teeth so it goes with the territory. It is no problem.

-There are toys and chewie things all over my house:

He is a little boy and needs things to play with. I don't mind at all. I like feeling like he relies on me and looks to me for leadership.

-No privacy:

Because he follows me everywhere I always have someone watching me shower and go to the bathroom. Nothing is cuter than seeing him lick the outside of the shower door. I have glass doors and to see his cute little mouth and tongue smush up against the glass is adorable!

-Financial

Of course there was the cost of buying him, but then there are the costs of dog food, toys, travel kennel, vet visits, etc. I knew this coming in and I don't mind one bit. He is worth every penny!

My life is different since Billy, but there is nothing that he has brought with him that isn't more than manageable. I just wish he would appreciate my singing more than he seems to.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dogs are the best!