Sunday, March 1, 2009

Another post about Billy...


Just kidding...

Okay, okay...I know, I have been slacking lately. It isn't because I haven't wanted to write, it is just that I have been consumed by raising Billy and I don't want every blog post to be about how cute he is and all the funny little things that he has done. I don't want to be one of those 'parents' who only talks about their kids and expects everyone else to think their kids are as cute/smart/funny as they do. You know the type...and if you are one of those, cut it out.

I will comment on how my friend started the dryer and didn't realize until about 5 minutes into the cycle, that her cat was in with the towels. Apparently she came out a little dizzy and very hot, but is fine. Thankfully someone got a 'feeling' that she might be in there and they were right...wow...poor cat, what a terrible way to die.

Oh, okay...let me tell you about this:

So about a week or so ago I was talking to this guy at my course who was getting new gear from the Titleist van. He was commenting on how his chipping was poor and joked that I might be able to help him. I don't profess to be a great teacher, but I can help someone with their chipping/pitching, no problem. Anyway, it was a brief conversation and that was that.

I then ran into him at the golf course two days ago. He was with his new irons at the range so I went and asked him how they were and started chatting the way only golfers can. His wife was hitting balls next to him with her ipod on, but I made sure to stop and say hello to her. Wives can be funny with the 'stay away from my man' looks and attitude sometimes, so I always make a point of trying to make them feel comfortable with my intentions (basically that there aren't any). Most of the time it works, but sometimes they have so many issues, they can't get past it. How can I tell? I can just feel it coming out of them.

Anyway, he started to hit a few pitches and I asked him if he wanted to know what I saw. He accepted and so I showed him a thing or two and immediately he was hitting it higher than he ever had before. I could see he was excited and he wanted to go to the chipping area to work on it. He was very appreciative and thanked me and headed off as I went back to my place on the range. I looked over and saw that he needed help, so I set off to give him a few tweaks. I walked past his wife and in a friendly, good-natured way, I said: "I am going to go help him out". Her response:

"I don't think he needs any. He has too much going on in his brain with it as it is so it might just confuse him"

I could see that she didn't want me talking to 'her man' so I said: "Ah, okay. I will just let him be then and work on my own stuff." What I felt like saying was: "ease up you dumb biotch, he DOES need my help and I am NOT interested in your idiot husband."

It has always been about the golf for me. When I was young I always hung out and played golf with guys because, well, none of my girl friends played golf. As I grew older, it was still about the golf. When I turned pro, it was especially about the golf. I don't play golf so I can meet men and be around guys. I meet guys because I play golf. If THEY think it is about anything other than the golf, they are mistaken.

Even at 35 years old it is still about the golf. I guess the issue is that the wives sometimes have a hard time understanding that because for them, often, it is about something else...the clothes, the social network, or putting on some kind of appearance and so it is RARELY about the golf. For them to comprehend that I actually just want to help their husbands' pitch the ball better makes their make-up crack and their hair go flat.

I went over and helped him anyway.

No comments: