Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I forgot all about this

A few weeks ago someone from the RCGA contacted me about a little online interview. Here is what came of it (check out the link--there is a picture of me on there and I actually like it, it looks like I am up to something):



Corina Kelepouris

Hometown:
Drayton Valley, Alberta

Birth Date:
5/31/1973

Birthplace:
Drayton Valley, Alberta

College:
University of Alberta

Degree:
Physical Education

The RCGA recently had the opportunity to catch up with Drayton Valley, Alta. native Corina Kelepouris as she prepared for the upcoming golf season. Here’s what the CN Canadian Women’s Tour veteran had to say.

Royal Canadian Golf Association (RCGA): What are your goals for the 2009 golf season?

Corina Kelepouris (CK): My goal is to get better. If I get better than I am right now, my results will take care of themselves.

RCGA: When you’re not golfing, what other activities do you do for fun?

CK: When I am not playing or practicing golf, I enjoy watching hockey. I grew up an Oilers fan, but am very good friends with Ken Hitchcock who is the head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets so I am a huge jackets supporter. I am also a bit of a 'gamer' and spend time playing xbox. I like playing sports, in the off-season like ball hockey and a bit of ice hockey. I also like to read memoirs and books by Karl Pilkington and watch anything he is in.

RCGA: How long have you been playing golf and who introduced you to the sport?

CK: I have been playing golf for about 25 years. My mom bought my dad a set of clubs for Christmas one year and my sister and I went with them the first time and I hated it. We just walked around with them and thought it was as boring as it could be. After that I started going with my dad and then began playing with friends all throughout my youth.

RCGA: How will you prepare for the 2009 season?

CK: I will prepare for 2009 with my coach on and off over the next few months and get into better physical fitness for the season.

RCGA: Have you ever considered playing another sport besides golf professionally? Why?

CK: Not really, but I do think it would be fun to be a good hockey player. Playing in the ultimate team sport like hockey would be something totally different than being in an individual sport like golf.

RCGA: What’s on your iPod/Mp3 player?

CK: I have a wide variety on my iPod, Johnny Cash, Black Eyed Peas, Rolling Stones. Right now, I am enjoying Ricky Gervais’ podcast on my iPod. They are hilarious and well worth downloading.

RCGA: Before a tournament, do you do anything to calm your nerves?

CK: I tend to do a lot of visualizing and breathing. I stick to my routine and do everything I can to stay in the moment.

RCGA: When did you know that golf was something that you wanted pursue professionally?

CK: When I was 15 I started to win some golf tournaments. I remember doing a T.V. interview and stating that it was my dream to play on the LPGA Tour. I was having some success and turning pro seemed like the right step. I turned pro in May of '98 and have been at it ever since.

RCGA: To date, what has been your favourite golf tournament you’ve competed in?

CK: It is always fun to play in Canada and do well.

RCGA: Which LPGA tournaments do you hope to qualify for in the 2009 season?

CK: It is my goal to play in tournaments that feature the world’s best players. The CN Canadian Women’s Open and the U.S. Open would be two tournaments that fit into that category. I also keep a blog http://www.fairwaysanddreams.blogspot.com; It is just random observations or things that I have noted/experienced.

No comments: