Saturday, May 16, 2009

Stump Jumpin'


I got a new mountain bike yesterday and boy, is it fun to ride one again. I have been wanting one for quite sometime so as to have another, more enjoyable form, of exercise. The last moutain bike I bought was around 1994 or '95 and have they changed. The bike I have now has hydrolic disc breaks which are basically exactly what you would have on your car. Front suspension is pretty much a staple on most mountain bikes these days and the shifting system has also been upgraded.

I took it for a quick spin yesterday afternoon and it felt great. Today Hitch drove to the gym and I rode my bike to meet him. It takes about 12-15 minutes to drive the car there so I had no idea how long it would take me to get there, or if I would even be able to complete the trip. I got there in 36 minutes, averaged 12.8 mph and the total journey was 7.77 miles (information courtesy of my handy dandy little handlebar computer that I purchased for 15.99). I really enjoyed riding a bike again and the workout was not excessive, but it was enough to where I felt like I had a workout.

I used to love riding my bike to work and school when I lived in Edmonton. I bought that bike on payments and I think it was about an $800 bike at the time: Bridgestone MB-4. The best memories I have of that bike were when I would ride it to work through the Edmonton River Valley which was great because it was all down hill. The best, however was the ride home after a long days' work on one of those hot august nights. Sure I was tired and mentally the big hill climb was the last thing I felt like doing, but once I got started on it, it turned into a great challenge and I often felt invigorated when I got to the top.

From there I would ride to my Whyte Avenue apartment(Whyte Ave was one of the 'hippest' places in edmonton at the time with a lot of shops, restaurants and pedestrian traffice--always a great hangout for university students) meet up with my friend Keely who also lived in that apartment and we would each buy a huge ice cream cone and sit on the curb to eat it while watching the people go by.

...it was that September when I had to start running...

No comments: